GUTS is a friendly pumpkin carving competition benefitting Make-A-Wish. AIGA Cincinnati brought our first GUTS to the Queen City in 2016 and we're back and better than ever for 2017! This year AIGA and GUTS are excited to be teaming up with Fall Fest in Washington Park this year!
The primary goal of this event is to unify the creative community in support of the kids who fight the real fight every day at Make-A-Wish Southwest Ohio. AIGA Cincinnati's goal is to raise enough funds to grant at least one wish for these brave kids.
The competition is open to local and regional creatives that want to test their pumpkin carving skills, and more importantly, raise money for the brave kids of Make-A-Wish Foundation. We raise money through the carver's registration fees, silent auction, food, drink, and merchandise sold at the event. For those who can't make it or would like to do a little extra, we invite anyone, anywhere, to contribute by donating.
Teams are made up of 1-4 carvers and will compete head to head to win over the judges and onlookers!
As a team, you will work together on a single entry that can include as few or as many pumpkins as you would like.
A Few Rules To Remember:
This event is BYOP (Bring Your Own Pumpkin) and tools!
- Pumpkins should be gutted before arriving on site to save time and reduce mess on-site.
- Other than planning and gutting, no other prep work may be done on the pumpkin(s) prior to the event. This includes drawing, scoring, pre-cutting parts, etc.
- Carvers may incorporate multiple pumpkins, gourds, and similar materials as accessories or in support of the entry.
- Props may be used but cannot comprise the majority of the design. Keep in mind this is a pumpkin carving contest and carving skills are what will be evaluated most heavily by the judges.
- Power tools are acceptable but must have their own power source. No power will be provided. Lighting the pumpkin is up to the carver, however, again, no power will be provided.
- Decorating your prep area is accepted as long as you do not disturb your fellow carvers or cover the sponsor banner on your table. Keep in mind, carvers will only be judged on the pumpkin carving.
Auctioning Your Pumpkin:
Your creation will all be judged and auctioned off together, as one piece to benefit Make-A-Wish, and the team that brings in the highest price will receive additional points towards their final score.
There will be a trick-or-treat activity for the kids that are in attendance. Vendors and carving teams will be participants. Please bring a bowl of individually wrapped candy to set on or near your station when trick-or-treating starts after the carving has ended.
Please arrive at Washington Park at 12:00pm to set up and be ready to start carving at 1:30pm! We will have you shirts waiting for you at your table the day of! When you arrive, you and your team will check in with me, get your table assignment, and start set up!
Carving will occur from 1:30 - 3:00. After that, judging will take place and you will have time to grab some food and drink, take a look at the other pumpkins, and participate in trick-or-treating until the winners are announced at 4:00pm!