EMERGE is a series of experiences tailored to help the emerging designer hone their skills, discover their talents, and grow their career. AIGA Cincinnati is excited to be participating in this initiative by hosting a mini-conference during #CDW17 created specifically for emerging designers by emerging designers (those with 0-5 years of experience).
Memorial Hall OTR
EMERGE is a new initiative of programming co-created by the national AIGA organization + AIGA Minnesota. EMERGE is a series of experiences tailored to help the emerging designer hone their skills, discover their talents, and grow their career. AIGA Cincinnati is excited to be participating in this initiative by hosting a mini-conference created specifically for emerging designers by emerging designers (those with 0-5 years of experience). This half-day event will include two engaging panel discussions, the choice of a keynote speaker based on your interests, and a workshop to help you refine your professional social media presence. The day also includes time for networking, free professional head shots, unlimited coffee, breakfast + snacks. The goal of EMERGE is to help you flourish as a designer—in the areas of employment, growth, leadership, entrepreneurship, and life skills.
Breakfast is generously sponsored by Ruttle Design Group.
- 8:20-9:00: Networking, breakfast, and free headshots!
- 9:00-9:10: Welcome & Agenda
What is life - WTF is an emerging designer and why am I here?
- 9:10-10:10: The Truth About Being an Emerging Designer
What's it really like to be an emerging designer in Cincy? Join us for an open discussion on being the new kid on a creative team. Five creatives (each with 0-5 years of experience) will share their thoughts on working at an agency, in-house, or startup environments. They'll reveal trials and tribulations, pros and cons of the places they've worked, and what they love most about their careers. Trying to decide where you belong? We all are. See you there. ;-)
- Autumn Heisler, Creative Director, dooley media + AIGA CIN co-pres (moderator)
- Nicola Cimino, Brand Manager, ConstructConnect
- Kendra Doherty, Designer, Landor
- Jess Nolte-Cerchio, Senior Designer, Differential
- Marquez White, UI Designer, Kroger
- Yelitsa-Jean Charles, Designer, LISNR
- 10:10-10:20: Break
Grab some refreshments!
- 10:20-10:50: Choose Your Own Keynote: Leadership OR Entrepreneurship
Choose the talk that's right for you! Hear from one of two industry leaders as they share their inspiring career journeys. Learn key lessons on the topic of your choice: leadership or entrepreneurship. Ray Elfers, Creative Director at POSSIBLE, will speak on leadership. Tim Metzner, Founder & Partner at Differential, will speak on entrepreneurship.
- 10:50-11:30: Level Up on LinkedIn
In this lightening speed learning session, Matthew Dooley - whose LinkedIn profile is in the top 1% most viewed - will share his tips and tricks for taking your LinkedIn presence to the next level. Matthew is the founder & CEO of dooley media, a Cincinnati social media studio.
- 11:30-11:40: Break
- 11:40-12:25: Tips & Tricks for Getting Hired
Wondering what leading companies in Cincinnati are looking for when hiring creatives? This is your chance to find out. Ask your most burning questions about portfolios, interviews, and culture across a variety of industries. Get the inside scoop on HR pet peeves, creative director wishlists, and the biggest mistakes designers are making during the hiring process. Five professionals who lead the hiring process for designers at their company will be all yours for 45 min. Bring your questions!
- Ashton Spann, Digital Designer, Gold Medal Products + AIGA CIN social media director (moderator)
- Steve Bowling, HR Partner - Talent Acquisition & Engagement, LPK
- David Zellen, Vice President of Marketing, RoadID
- Lori Jerome, Account Executive, TEKsystems
- Brian Keenan, Co-founder, Openfield
- Holly Shoemaker, Creative Director, Hyperquake
- 12:25-12:30: Closing
Fri, Sep 29, 2017
8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Memorial Hall OTR
1225 Elm Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202